Mountain View Services

-Regulatory

-Surgical

-Diagnostic Servicies

-Integrative Medicine

-Emergency



















Common household items that may be harmful to your pets

There are many things that can be harmful if your dog or cat ingests them.  Here is a list of common foods and household items that can cause harm to your pets:


1.  Chocolate - although very appetizing to dogs, chocolate is toxic to them.  It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and death.  Dark chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate.  


2.  Garlic and onions - these can cause anemia in dogs and cats


3.  Grapes and raisins - can cause kidney failure


4.  Lilies - can cause kidney failure in cats


5.  Xylitol - this is a sugar substitute found in many chewing gums, cough syrups, cough drops, toothpaste, and other edible substances.  It causes dangerous hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver damage in our pets


6.  Herbicides, pesticides, rat poison and anti freeze are other substances found in most homes that are toxic to pets.


If your pet ingests one of the substances above, please seek veterinary attention as soon as possible.  This list is not meant to be all inclusive.  If you are uncertain if something is safe to feed your pet, please contact your veterinarian.  There is also an ASCPA animal poison control hotline you can call if you are concerned about something your pet has eaten. It is recommended to keep this number handy on your refrigeration for emergencies: (888) 426-4435.  There is a fee for this service.